Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Denver
 Colorado Av Club Forums : Local Club Events and Get ToGethers (GTGs) : Denver
Message Icon Topic: Stereo? Post Reply Post New Topic
justjr

Online Status: Offline
Quote justjr Replybullet Topic: Stereo?
    Posted: 28 Feb 2007 at 2:42pm
As I stated in the mod gtg topic, I just got my stereo equipment shipped to me and if anybody that knows even a little about the install, then with my little bit of knowledge and the beer that I'm willing to provide then maybe we could make a party/GTG out of it. OOOOO!!! I'd probably be willing to throw in a BBQ for any interested.Thumbs%20Up 
Just Drive Man!!!
IP IP Logged
chadstr

Quote chadstr Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2007 at 8:06pm
I did all of my install, Stereo, remote start with two way paging, amplifier, Sirius satalite, speakers, and the electrical mods will continue. (I design and build electrical control panels and 1 off test and automation equipment for a living.) If I could within a reasonable amount of money, I would have my truck remote control. Ive done it on a junker car, but after I was done, with the stuff that was available at the time, a person couldnt get in and drive it afterwards, too much crap in the way. Sorry, back to the subject (Im always off on tangents) Depending on how much stuff you want in of course, its going to take longer than a GTG. Please forgive me if you have already taken care of these matters....

Your chime for low fuel, windshield washer fluid, door open, etc all of those go through the stereo system. (really dum but true).
      2 ways around it... 1 leave the existing stereo in it, cram it back into the dash so that all of this still works, cut speakers wires and other parts of the system you want to control with your new stereo. I tried this for a while, but when I added a Satalite radio module, there wasnt room in the dash for everything.

The other way is to buy a after market module that is very specific to your year of truck that makes the tones that your stereo used to make but its expensive and the tone sounds like crap. Its adjustable but there isnt any comfortable sounding adjustment. If you remove it all together, I am told that you will be prone to error messages on your bezel display that may be incorrrect and or not alarm at all depending on the alarm. I do have this, it works, but after you hear the tone a few times, well you get your keys out of the ignition before you open the door, not during. I am willing to help, but like I said its a pretty good sized job, not impossible and I think its fun. It will also help greatly if you have all of the coloring codes, as well as a after market stereo interface. (connects to factory plugs and then has pigtails that you wire into your new stereo.) Again, you may have thought of all this, thats cool, but it sucks to get into it, have your truck torn apart, and just cant finish the job.

Chadster
Yea, My modifications on my truck are worth more than my truck.
IP IP Logged
justjr

Quote justjr Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2007 at 7:03am
I got the deck and the door speakers in and got lucky owning an '02. I have one of the first AV's to leave the production line and one of the last before all of that went through the stereo. The only trouble I had was splicing in the factory amp harness to the stereo harness as I had no sound.
That had me stumped for a bit but it came out pretty good.
The door speakers are also in so now I just need to get the box for the tens to go under the rear seat done and wire the amp.
Your right though, getting a deck in these trucks is a fairly big ordeal. I've now done a couple more and have had to use a harness adapter from Best Buy for the chimes and such that cost about $135 but really eased the installs.
Oh! And I also found out that that stupid little harness powers the airbag sensors, so if it is cheated there is a good chance that you will get an airbag fault code.
I have no idea what kind of sense this design makes but it's there.
Thanks for the input! Every little bit helps!
  • yourock

• Edited by justjr - 19 May 2007 at 7:03am
    Just Drive Man!!!
    IP IP Logged
    Post Reply Post New Topic
    Printable version Printable version