Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Denver
 Colorado Av Club Forums : Local Club Events and Get ToGethers (GTGs) : Denver
Message Icon Event: Fall Colors GTG-Peak to Peak Scenic Byway-10/4/08 - Event Date: 04 Oct 2008 Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
avalanchuck
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote avalanchuck Replybullet Calendar Event: Fall Colors GTG-Peak to Peak Scenic Byway-10/4/08
    Posted: 16 Sep 2008 at 5:01pm
Who's up for a cruise to see the fall leaves?!

Who: Colorado Av Club

What:  A cruise along the Peak-to-Peak Scenic and Historic Byway: From Black Hawk to Estes Park to see the aspens

Where: Meet at the Sunrise Sunset @ 9134 W. 6th Ave. for breakfast at 8am & about 9am for just the cruise to see the leaves

When: Saturday October 4, 2008

Originally posted by National Scenic Byways Program website

Welcome to the showcase of the Front Range. Less than an hour from Denver, Boulder, or Fort Collins, this 55-mile-long route provides matchless views of the Continental Divide and its timbered approaches. The string of popular attractions along the way - Rocky Mountain National Park, Golden Gate Canyon State Park, Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests, and Eldora Ski Resort - combine recreation with nature preservation.

Located in Colorado's high country where gravel roads criss-cross the main highway, this byway leads to lakes, trailheads, campgrounds, and ghost towns at Hesse and Apex. Mountains dot the landscape all along the byway, providing spectacular sights year-round. From wintry snow-capped magnificence to spring's innocence and revival, there is always something to inspire and take your breath away.

The Peak to Peak Scenic and Historic Byway also traverses an area rich in early Colorado history. The area was once a mining belt of valuable gold and silver deposits. Today, you can explore the past at Caribou, one of Colorado's ghost towns found about 5 miles west of Nederland or pan for gold at one of the panning locations off the byway. Estes Park boasts an extension of the Stanley Museum housed in the Stanley Hotel. Here, you can learn more of the Stanley family and its influence on Estes Park in the early 1900s. Towns along the way offer cultural activities as well. Home to the summer opera festival, Central City is also rich in period architecture.

Established in 1918, Peak to Peak is Colorado's oldest scenic byway. Its attractions and popularity have justified Peak to Peak Magazine's comment, "many call it one of the most beautiful mountain roads in the country."

I hope you can join us!  

Thumbs%20Up

Edited by avalanchuck - 17 Sep 2008 at 7:32am
2003 Light Pewter Metallic Z71 WBH
IP IP Logged
avalanchuck
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote avalanchuck Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 8:36am
BUMP!

Here's a link to some photos from our 2005 Fall Colors Trail Ride GTG over Georgia Pass.

IP IP Logged
shawnemac

Quote shawnemac Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 8:47pm
Chuck,

How many people show up to these GTG. Hows the ride, do i need to put on my 4X4 tires i still have on my 22" but i can change them if needed.

Thanks,

Shawnemac  Dead
IP IP Logged
chadstr

Quote chadstr Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 10:32pm

Chuck, About how long miles and hours is this round trip for me, I am interested but Im not sure if the whole family is interested.

Oh and Shawn, I saw mud puddles in the pictures from this GTG a few years ago...sounds like your dirt treads may have to go on. :-(
Yea, My modifications on my truck are worth more than my truck.
IP IP Logged
avalanchuck
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote avalanchuck Replybullet Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 7:24am
Shawn- this is not an actual trail ride like we did over Georgia Pass but this is all paved highway so need to change tires.

Chad-I'll see if I can come up with a map with total distances.
IP IP Logged
avalanchuck
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote avalanchuck Replybullet Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 8:16am
IP IP Logged
shawnemac

Quote shawnemac Replybullet Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 9:19pm
Cryha ha ha  dont tease me chad i prefer heels on my truck and boots on my women Censored 
IP IP Logged
chadstr

Quote chadstr Replybullet Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 9:45pm
Your a nut man LOL If I had to choose, I suppose Im the other way around, to each their own. So are you going? Im trying to get enough done work wise to make it.
IP IP Logged
chadstr

Quote chadstr Replybullet Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 10:01pm
It will be 307 miles and 7 hours 15 minutes round trip, it will be an all day thing. Checking on what the family thinks.
IP IP Logged
avalanchuck
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote avalanchuck Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 9:50am
Sorry about that Chad I knew it would be a long haul for you folks in the Springs.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version