Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Interior Modifications
 Colorado Av Club Forums : Modifications : Interior Modifications
Message Icon Topic: Wiring help/suggestions being sought Post Reply Post New Topic
TCR1

Online Status: Offline
Quote TCR1 Replybullet Topic: Wiring help/suggestions being sought
    Posted: 31 Mar 2009 at 11:30am
I bought the materials to install a switch for my cargo area light.  I wanted to mount a rocker switch on the inside rear driver side of the cargo area so I could turn the light on from there, but didn't neccesarily want the pin switch, though I may still do that, but use the rocker switch as well.

The switch I bought has a red LED light that i just learned is lit when the switch is on.  Since I will only be turning the switch on when it is dark, it makes sense that the switch be illuminated when it is off.

Is there a way to wire the switch to do this?  Here is a link to the switch I bought.http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3097457&numProdsPerPage=60&y=6&x=14&retainProdsInSession=1
The bottom prong is for the source, the middle is the load, and the top is the ground.

I have now expanded my idea to include a second switch at the front of the bed for when I am sleeping in it, a push pin for the tailgate, and a push pin for drivers side saddle bag.  the wiring is now very confused in my mind. 

I planned on running 14ga solid wire for all switches.  I built a harness for the The current rocker switch by using a self tapping splice and attaching crimp on clips to slide onto the switch.  I also built a little ground wire to mount to the body somewhere.  I would tie this all into the blue wire for the cargo light using a self tapping splice.

For the second switch at the front of the bed, I figured I could do the same thing.  Just cahnge the switch location.

I am not sure where to put the push pimn switches.  It seems like they could be wired together (in series).

Can anybody help me on the wiring layout?

Better ideas?
IP IP Logged
TCR1

Quote TCR1 Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 1:17pm
I tore a lot of the back end apart today to see about switch location, where to run wires, etc.  Even less sure of what to do with this one. 

Need to check all the other threads again.

IP IP Logged
chadstr

Quote chadstr Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 8:11pm
I understand your red light idea, however, you may not want the light to be draining on your battery all of the time. Also, in order to get the red light to turn off, when your bedlights are on, you will need  to put in a relay that cuts power to the switch light when bedlights are on.

If you just want the switch light on all of the time, you need to run a positive 12VDC wire to the light, and then connect to the ground you have heading to the switch, before the switch, to the other side of the switch light. I may be confusing you, Call me if you need a better explanation.

As far as location for the switch, I would think it would be fairly easy to see where you could drill a switch hole once you remove the actual saddle and look in to see where a clear spot is.

Chadstr
Yea, My modifications on my truck are worth more than my truck.
IP IP Logged
chadstr

Quote chadstr Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 8:17pm
I was also thinking, that if the toggle switch was a single pole double throw, you could just use the opposite leg, the NC (normaly closed) side to the negative side of the switch light, it then would turn off the switch light when the switch was in the on position. You may want to ask the Shack for a single pole double throw switch, with individual contact points for the switch light, (switch light is not internaly wired so you can do with it what you want)

Chadstr
Yea, My modifications on my truck are worth more than my truck.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version