Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Denver
 Colorado Av Club Forums : Local Club Events and Get ToGethers (GTGs) : Denver
Message Icon Event: MOD GTG time Sunday April 19th at 10:00 - Event Date: 19 Apr 2009 Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 6 Next >>
ChrisInCo

Online Status: Offline
Quote ChrisInCo Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 8:13pm
Trying to get the cubbies back together, we don't understand the cigarette lighter trick......what do we need to do?
IP IP Logged
beercrazy

Quote beercrazy Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 9:34pm
first off let me say sorry I wasnt able to attend, my daughter was leaving for a year tour of duty to Fort Knox and I really wanted to spend some time with her before she left. Ok now to buisness at hand, as far as the cig. lighter trick its really simple, theres 2 wires on the cig. lighter, use the orange wire to power the lights and where the orange wire came off of the lighter make a wire from that point the ground for the lights, then when the lighter is pushed in the lights come on and go off when the lighter is removed. the lighter will not heat up as this is the ground side of the curcuit, I normally leave mine plugged in unless Im on a long drive then I unplug it to kill the glare from the cubby lights...Ken
Whats you AVitude telling you????
IP IP Logged
chadstr

Quote chadstr Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 10:16pm
WHAT? Do you take the orange wire off of the lighter and take it to the lights? Does your lighter still work. I may just be tired, I dont get it. I have been asked a couple of times how you do it, maybe next time I will have an answer for them.
Yea, My modifications on my truck are worth more than my truck.
IP IP Logged
beercrazy

Quote beercrazy Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 10:19pm
call me chad k..if its not too late for ya k..I have my cell
IP IP Logged
ChrisInCo

Quote ChrisInCo Replybullet Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 8:35am
Ken, can you somehow get me your phone number so when hubby and I are attempting it again tonight, we can call you?
IP IP Logged
beercrazy

Quote beercrazy Replybullet Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 11:08am
sure Chris...440-5732 call me when your ready k....
IP IP Logged
ChrisInCo

Quote ChrisInCo Replybullet Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 7:54pm
Tried to call you...........call us please:

303-669-9702.
IP IP Logged
TCR1

Quote TCR1 Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 9:42am
Originally posted by beercrazy

first off let me say sorry I wasnt able to attend, my daughter was leaving for a year tour of duty to Fort Knox and I really wanted to spend some time with her before she left. Ok now to buisness at hand, as far as the cig. lighter trick its really simple, theres 2 wires on the cig. lighter, use the orange wire to power the lights and where the orange wire came off of the lighter make a wire from that point the ground for the lights, then when the lighter is pushed in the lights come on and go off when the lighter is removed. the lighter will not heat up as this is the ground side of the curcuit, I normally leave mine plugged in unless Im on a long drive then I unplug it to kill the glare from the cubby lights...Ken

Ken,
as I read what you say, does this make sense for process:

1: identify locations of LEDs in cubby's and cup holders
2: drill holes for LEDs in cubby's and cup holder
3: Remove Orange wire from Cigarette Lighter assembly
4: attach new wire to where orange wire was attached to cigarette lighter and run to ground (any suggestions on where to ground at and what size wire?)
5: Connect LEDs to orange wire.  How are these best connected?  I have never soldered before and don't have the tools.  Also, I was planning to run about 8 LEDs (cup holder, under cup holder, the cubby's and down low in the center console where the retaining clip is).

The cigarette lighter then acts as a push switch correct? 

I am thinking it might be nice to leave lighter function in place (I don't smoke, but like to leave functionality where possible).  So I could splice into the orange wire and run to a push button switch, from the switch you would run to the LEDs and also to ground.

Does this amke electrical sense.  This is one thing that is so far out of my realm of understanding that it is not even funnyCry
IP IP Logged
ColoAvZ71

Quote ColoAvZ71 Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 3:50pm
Was nice to meet everyone just wish I didn't have to leave so soon would have liked to have seen all your projects finished.

I got some good news this week finally got a job not in the field I went to school for, but it will pay the bills and I have past experience in the same field.  So hopefully I can get a few things done to my truck at some point.

Edited by ColoAvZ71 - 22 Apr 2009 at 3:51pm
2003 Avalanche Z71 Pewter
IP IP Logged
chadstr

Quote chadstr Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by TCR1

Ken,
as I read what you say, does this make sense for process:

1: identify locations of LEDs in cubby's and cup holders
2: drill holes for LEDs in cubby's and cup holder
3: Remove Orange wire from Cigarette Lighter assembly
4: attach new wire to where orange wire was attached to cigarette lighter and run to ground (any suggestions on where to ground at and what size wire?)

DONT TAKE IT TO GROUND, YOU MAKE THAT WIRE YOUR GROUND WIRE FOR YOU LED'S. THERE IS ALREADY A GROUND ON YOUR CIG LIGHTER, WHEN YOU PUSH IN THE CIG LIGHTER, IT SHORTS, OR CONNECTS THE TWO, GIVING YOUR LED'S THE GROUND THEY NEED.

5: Connect LEDs to orange wire.  How are these best connected?  I have never soldered before and don't have the tools.  Also, I was planning to run about 8 LEDs (cup holder, under cup holder, the cubby's and down low in the center console where the retaining clip is).

THE LED LEADS ARE SMALL ENOUGH TO STRIP LONG AND PUT THEM IN A BUTT SPLICE...CAN BE PICKED UP AT LOWES, HOME DEPOT, RADIO SHACK AS WELL AS THE CRIMP TOOLS. I SUGGEST THE RATCHETING CRIMP TOOLS, THEY ENSURE YOU SQUEEZED TIGHT ENOUGH. SOLDERING ISNT HARD EITHER, THERE IS ALWAYS A FIRST TIME FOR EVERYTHING.

The cigarette lighter then acts as a push switch correct? YES

I am thinking it might be nice to leave lighter function in place (I don't smoke, but like to leave functionality where possible).  So I could splice into the orange wire and run to a push button switch, from the switch you would run to the LEDs and also to ground. YES

Does this amke electrical sense.  This is one thing that is so far out of my realm of understanding that it is not even funnyCry
[/QUOTE

JUST IN CASE YOU DIDNT KNOW, I ANSWERED YOUR ANSWERS ABOVE WITH UNDERLINED CAPS...

CHADSTR Tongue
JUST IN CASE YOU DIDNT KNOW, I ANSWERED YOUR ANSWERS ABOVE WITH UNDERLINED CAPS...

CHADSTR Tongue

Edited by chadstr - 22 Apr 2009 at 8:56pm
Yea, My modifications on my truck are worth more than my truck.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 6 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version