Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Denver
 Colorado Av Club Forums : Local Club Events and Get ToGethers (GTGs) : Denver
Message Icon Event: MOD GTG time Sunday April 19th at 10:00 - Event Date: 19 Apr 2009 Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 6
TCR1

Online Status: Offline
Quote TCR1 Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 3:27pm
I took dinner in my truck between studying for a test and taking said test at the school (why did I ever go back to school for a 3rd degree?...who ever wants to get the 3rd degree anyway? LOL)

Anyway, I planned out my strategy a little more, and as is typical, it became more involved.

New plan includes 12 LEDs and 3 pushbutton switches and two pin switches.

1.  2 white LEDs in arm rest storage area lid activated by a pin switch on the lid.  I expect I can connect into part of the harness going back to my rear audio controls that never get used.

2. 2 white LEDs in storage area being constructed under the cup holders.  This area will be turned on by a pin switch when the cupholders are removed and will include a a secondary switch in case I decide to drive some distance with the cup holders out (not sure why I would do that, but may as well account for everything).  this will require construction of a simple bracket to secure the pinswitch beneath the front part of the cup holder and the switch will run up through the larger tab.  I assume I can take power from the rear audio controls for this as well.

3. Elimination of LEDs from cupholders as I wouldn't be able to remove the cupholders without the wires from the LEDs interfereing.

4. 4 Blue LEDs for accent lighting for the drivers side and 4 Blue LEDs for the passenger side.  These will take power from somewhere under the dash proximal to the drivers side.  I would like to hook up a switch to control each side independently  Driver can turn on drivers side, passenger can turn on passenger side.  However, another switch that would allow the driver to turn on the passenger side.  I think these switches would be neatly placed in a switchboard just infront of the cupholders in the smaller cubby.  I was going to shape this with plexiglass and mount it with 3M tape and have it covered in faux carbon fiber...or maybe prime and paint it.  Getting the switch panel face to look as good as Chad's would be the ultimate goal, but that is pretty lofty.

I need to finish the under cupholder storage area first so that it makes sense to do the lighting down there as opposed  to lighting the cupholders.  Then its just a matter of procuring the LEDs and roping Ken or Chad into providing some hands on help.

This latest thought is thanks to the GTG.  Thanks guys!

IP IP Logged
ChrisInCo

Quote ChrisInCo Replybullet Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 8:09am
WHOA!   I can't wait to see this one! 
IP IP Logged
chadstr

Quote chadstr Replybullet Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 5:59pm
I didnt have time to do this then, so I did it when I got home, Im not sure if I like it or not yet
Yea, My modifications on my truck are worth more than my truck.
IP IP Logged
chadstr

Quote chadstr Replybullet Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 6:04pm
IP IP Logged
TCR1

Quote TCR1 Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 8:42am
Looks clean Chad.  Are they vinyl or are they raised letter? 

If they are raised letter, they might start to hold dirt, which will be a PIA.

IP IP Logged
chadstr

Quote chadstr Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 11:15pm
They are raised...more than once have I put and then got out more mud than is in any fashion normal, so Im not worried about dirt. I left them on for now, I dont know that I like them. I usually like subtle little things, and these sorta stand out a  bit.
IP IP Logged
TCR1

Quote TCR1 Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2009 at 2:29pm

Have to update this with some changes caused by installation of the new headunit and auxillary modules.

Originally posted by TCR1

Anyway, I planned out my strategy a little more, and as is typical, it became more involved.

New plan includes 1 group cluster of White LEDs, 2 blue LED strips and 3 pushbutton switches and one pin switch.

1.  white LED cluster in arm rest storage area activated by a pin switch on the lid.  I expect I can connect into part of the harness going back to my rear audio controls that never get used.

2. 2 white LEDs in storage area being constructed under the cup holders.  This area will be turned on by a pin switch when the cupholders are removed and will include a a secondary switch in case I decide to drive some distance with the cup holders out (not sure why I would do that, but may as well account for everything).  this will require construction of a simple bracket to secure the pinswitch beneath the front part of the cup holder and the switch will run up through the larger tab.  I assume I can take power from the rear audio controls for this as well.

3. Elimination of LEDs from cupholders as I wouldn't be able to remove the cupholders without the wires from the LEDs interfereing. Still no LEDs in there though.

4. Blue LED strips for accent lighting for the drivers side and passenger side.  These will take power from somewhere under the dash proximal to the drivers side.  I would like to hook up a switch to control each side independently  Driver can turn on drivers side, passenger can turn on passenger side.  However, another switch that would allow the driver to turn on the passenger side.  I think these switches would be neatly placed in a switchboard just infront of the cupholders in the smaller (upper) cubby.  I was going to shape this with plexiglass and mount it with 3M tape and have it covered in faux carbon fiber...or maybe prime and paint it.  Going to be difficult to get it to look right with the cig lighter and 12 V source there.  Getting the switch panel face to look as good as Chad's would be the ultimate goal, but that is pretty lofty.

I need to finish the under cupholder storage area first so that it makes sense to do the lighting down there as opposed  to lighting the cupholders.  Then its just a matter of procuring the LEDs and roping Ken or Chad into providing some hands on help.

This latest thought is thanks to the GTG.  Thanks guys!

So when is the next garage GTG at Jazz it Up?
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 6
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version