Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Miscellaneous
 Colorado Av Club Forums : Colorado Av Club Joe's Bar & Grill : Miscellaneous
Message Icon Topic: Fuel economy Post Reply Post New Topic
justjr

Online Status: Offline
Quote justjr Replybullet Topic: Fuel economy
    Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 6:03am
i found these tips on the GM website and figured it never hurts to read them when we all drive six thousand pound four wheel drive trucks.

1. Avoid rooftop carriers.
Approximately one quarter of each gallon of gas is needed to overcome wind resistance, so avoid carrying things on your roof. If necessary, use an aerodynamic carrier to help minimize drag.

2. Remove junk from the trunk.
Added weight in your vehicle affects fuel economy, so take unnecessary items out of your trunk.

3. Go the speed limit. Use cruise control.
Speed limits are calculated for maximum safety – they'll also reward you with maximum gas mileage. You can get up to 20% more mileage traveling 55 than 70 mph. Using cruise control provides additional gas savings.

4. Drive evenly. Avoid hard stops.
Quick starts burn gas while hard stops also cost you. Take your foot off the accelerator and coast a bit before stopping for a traffic light or a stop sign.

5. Avoid idling and rush hour traffic.
You're burning fuel while idling – up to a gallon every hour. So, avoid rush hour traffic when possible.

6. Open windows at slow speeds. Use A/C on highways.
Around town, turn your air conditioning off and roll down the windows. On the highway, open windows create drag at speeds of 40 mph or more, so roll them up and use the air.

7. Don't accelerate up hill.
Build up speed before an incline, and then maintain it on the way up. Coast on the way down for additional fuel economy.

8. Fill up when it's cool and before holidays.
Cooler temperatures in the early morning or late evening create less vapor. Also, getting a fill-up three days before a holiday will help you save on the per-gallon price at the pump.

9. Don't top off gas and tighten the cap.
When buying gas, stop when the pump shuts off automatically. And remember, your tank needs both fuel and fumes, so tighten the gas cap after every fill-up.

10. Use the correct fuel grade, any brand.
Most vehicles don't benefit from higher-octane, higher-priced gasoline, so use the lowest grade recommended by your vehicle manufacturer. The federal government also has standards for gasoline to be sold. That means one brand of gas isn't better than another.

Additional Ways Goodwrench Can Help You Save Even More

Find your GM dealer for expert Goodwrench services.

1. Change engine oil, using the recommended grade of motor oil.

2. Check and change your air filter.

3. Inspect and, if necessary, replace a clogged fuel filter.

4. Adjust tire pressure to manufacturer-recommended specs.

5. Inspect/clean intake system.

6. Inspect/replace emissions components and/or a faulty oxygen sensor.

7. Inspect brakes for proper adjustment.

8. Inspect power steering system and perform a steering alignment, if necessary.

9. Align front suspension

10. Clean or replace dirty or malfunctioning fuel injectors.

11. Inspect/replace spark plugs and spark plug wires.

12. Check exhaust for clogged catalytic converter.

13. Examine exhaust gas recirculation system.

14. Check automatic transmission/torque converter for proper fluid levels and shifting.

15. Inspect and clean coils and connections.

16. Examine/replace cracked or broken vacuum hoses.

17. Perform a high-mileage engine flush to dissolve and disperse deposits formed in the crankcase, cylinder walls, pistons, and rings.

18. Perform diagnostic check for stored problem codes on your vehicle's computer that indicate malfunctioning systems.

Just Drive Man!!!
IP IP Logged
liteft01

Quote liteft01 Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 6:23pm
#3 takes the FUN out of driving.....
As for #6.......take out the back window...........no drag!!
IP IP Logged
justjr

Quote justjr Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 2007 at 5:55am
I have been focusing on my mileage and got 20.2 this last tank! 537 miles on one fill up!
Just Drive Man!!!
IP IP Logged
beercrazy

Quote beercrazy Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2007 at 11:36pm
All the tips that justjr posted are all very good ideasso Id like to interject a few more.
1. when doing alot of highway driving as in state to state trips add an additional 5lbs of air to the tires. This decreases rolling resistance of the tires to the ground.

2. perform fuel injector flushes religiously, I flush mine twice a year to prevent carbon buildup on the injector tips, even though multec injectors are designed to prevent buildup...they still do need to be cleaned for better fuel atomization and better volatility allowing for a more complete burn. The stuff you dump in the tank....well that dont work so well. If anyone is interested I have my own injector cleaner, all is needed then is compressed air and the cleaner solution. I personally recommend BG fuel injection cleaner, I swear by this product.

3. Transmission fluid flushes is another often overlooked service, figure if it shifts it must be working...wrong. Worn fluid causes heavy friction and fatigue in auto. trannies. if the fluid aint pink its worn and needs flushed. Lets face it trans repairs are costly in the neighborhood of about $2500.00. Heat is the biggest killer of transmissions and worn fluid heats heavily.

And on that note, anyone looking for a good custom exhaust shop, well I have the ticket. Springs Auto and Truck does custom fabrication for just about every make of car avail. Any style exhaust any direction of pipe from
2 inch to  4 inch diesel and bigger. Flowmaster, Dynamax, Borla, pretty much what ever a guy wants to put under his vehicle. The prices are compareable to the other exhaust companys if not better. Springs auto is where I had my exhaust done at and I love it. I had the stock muffler removed and installed dual chamber flowmaster with custom pipe dumping behind the rear tires at a 45 degree angle with bologna tips installed for $180.00.
Whats you AVitude telling you????
IP IP Logged
justjr

Quote justjr Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2007 at 5:17am
Great info! Thanks!
Your deal on exhaust was a lot cheaper than mine! I went to the dealer and ended up paying about $400 for the Gibson's on the AV and about $425 for the Flowmasters on the Silverado, but I think they have payed themselves off just in fuel economy already!Thumbs%20Up
Just Drive Man!!!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version