Print Page | Close Window

Fall Colors GTG-Peak to Peak Scenic Byway-10/4/08

Printed From: Colorado Av Club
Category: Local Club Events and Get ToGethers (GTGs)
Forum Name: Denver
Forum Discription: ...and the surrounding area
URL: http://www.coloradoavclub.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=239
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 3:15pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 8.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Fall Colors GTG-Peak to Peak Scenic Byway-10/4/08
Posted By: avalanchuck
Subject: Fall Colors GTG-Peak to Peak Scenic Byway-10/4/08
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2008 at 5:01pm
Who's up for a cruise to see the fall leaves?!

Who: Colorado Av Club

What:  A cruise along the http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2114/travel.html - Peak-to-Peak Scenic and Historic Byway : From Black Hawk to Estes Park to see the aspens

Where: Meet at the http://sunrisebreakfast.com/locations.html - Sunrise Sunset @ 9134 W. 6th Ave. for breakfast at 8am & about 9am for just the cruise to see the leaves

When: Saturday October 4, 2008

Originally posted by http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2114/stories/56078 - National Scenic Byways Program website

]
Welcome to the showcase of the Front Range. Less than an hour from Denver, Boulder, or Fort Collins, this 55-mile-long route provides matchless views of the Continental Divide and its timbered approaches. The string of popular attractions along the way - Rocky Mountain National Park, Golden Gate Canyon State Park, Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests, and Eldora Ski Resort - combine recreation with nature preservation.

Located in Colorado's high country where gravel roads criss-cross the main highway, this byway leads to lakes, trailheads, campgrounds, and ghost towns at Hesse and Apex. Mountains dot the landscape all along the byway, providing spectacular sights year-round. From wintry snow-capped magnificence to spring's innocence and revival, there is always something to inspire and take your breath away.

The Peak to Peak Scenic and Historic Byway also traverses an area rich in early Colorado history. The area was once a mining belt of valuable gold and silver deposits. Today, you can explore the past at Caribou, one of Colorado's ghost towns found about 5 miles west of Nederland or pan for gold at one of the panning locations off the byway. Estes Park boasts an extension of the Stanley Museum housed in the Stanley Hotel. Here, you can learn more of the Stanley family and its influence on Estes Park in the early 1900s. Towns along the way offer cultural activities as well. Home to the summer opera festival, Central City is also rich in period architecture.

Established in 1918, Peak to Peak is Colorado's oldest scenic byway. Its attractions and popularity have justified Peak to Peak Magazine's comment, "many call it one of the most beautiful mountain roads in the country."

I hope you can join us!  

Thumbs%20Up

-------------
2003 Light Pewter Metallic Z71 WBH

Replies:
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 8:36am
BUMP!

Here's a link to some photos from our http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=incofke.2nyrjjde&Uy=5s0fjw&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0 - 2005 Fall Colors Trail Ride GTG over Georgia Pass .

-------------

Posted By: shawnemac
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 8:47pm
Chuck,

How many people show up to these GTG. Hows the ride, do i need to put on my 4X4 tires i still have on my 22" but i can change them if needed.

Thanks,

Shawnemac  Dead

Posted By: chadstr
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 10:32pm

Chuck, About how long miles and hours is this round trip for me, I am interested but Im not sure if the whole family is interested.

Oh and Shawn, I saw mud puddles in the pictures from this GTG a few years ago...sounds like your dirt treads may have to go on. :-(

-------------
Yea, My modifications on my truck are worth more than my truck.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 7:24am
Shawn- this is not an actual trail ride like we did over Georgia Pass but this is all paved highway so need to change tires.

Chad-I'll see if I can come up with a map with total distances.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 8:16am
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=9134+W.+6th+Avenue,+Lakewood,+CO&daddr=US-6+to:Black+Hawk,+CO+to:Rollinsville,+CO+to:Nederland,+CO+to:Ward,+CO+to:Raymond,+Boulder,+Colorado,+United+States+to:Ferncliff,+CO+to:Allenspark,+CO+to:Meeker+Park,+CO+to:Estes+Park,+CO+to:Lyons,+CO+to:CO-93+to:Golden,+CO+to:9134+W.+6th+Avenue,+Lakewood,+CO&hl=en&geocode=%3BFdllXgIdZOO5-Q%3B%3B%3B%3B%3B%3B%3B%3B%3B%3B%3BFWTzYAIdpSa6-Q%3B%3B&mra=ls&via=1,12&sll=39.69781,-105.227909&sspn=0.119797,0.208912&ie=UTF8&ll=39.970806,-104.798584&spn=1.909092,3.34259&t=h&z=9 - Google Maps Route of Fall Colors GTG - Peak to Peak Scenic and Historic Byway

Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Posted By: shawnemac
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 9:19pm
Cryha ha ha  dont tease me chad i prefer heels on my truck and boots on my women Censored 

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 9:45pm
Your a nut man LOL If I had to choose, I suppose Im the other way around, to each their own. So are you going? Im trying to get enough done work wise to make it.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 10:01pm
It will be 307 miles and 7 hours 15 minutes round trip, it will be an all day thing. Checking on what the family thinks.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 9:50am
Sorry about that Chad I knew it would be a long haul for you folks in the Springs.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 9:02am
Chuck,
I dont think we will be making this one. My wife has had some issues with her teeth and this Saturday is the first available appointment she can get. So unless somebody else calls and cancels we are a negative. I really dont feel like hauling the kids all day by myself. Im a chicken.

Take tons of pictures.

Chadstr

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:07pm
Understandable Chad... I've just had plenty of finished with several visits myself to the dentist... guess I can't blame anyone but myself since it was '03 when my previous dentist visit was.

-------------

Posted By: beercrazy
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 12:38pm
Looks like Ill be sitting this one out as well. My big trip was last weekend to Grand Junction airport to see the Blue Angels. Looks like Im home bound this weekend, giving me a chance to paint panels........Just be prepared for lots of bugs to wash off the front of your trucks.... Ken!

-------------
Whats you AVitude telling you????

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 6:49am
I know what you mean Ken... we've been heading up to our family cabin near Rabbit Ears Pass almost every weekend this summer...  I've got bugs splattered everywhere!

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 10:52pm
I may see ya all for breakfast. It will be me and the kido's. What is the head count for this one Chuck? Hope you get a great turn out. My folks were ATV'n in some high country and the pictures of the leaves were fantastic.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 6:37am
I think its just Darren & his family and Nicole and I so far on this one. 

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 11:36pm
I will not be making it to breakfast....my youngest brother was in a motorcycle accedent and is in intensive care,some of you have met him, he helped me at the last mod gtg. Dont know much about how he is yet, its a waiting game. I will keep you updated

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 7:49am
Sorry to hear that Chad!  We'll keep your brother and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

-------------

Posted By: beercrazy
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 8:30am
Sorry to hear about your brother Chad, hopefully all will be ok, Ill sure keep him in my prayers.........

-------------
Whats you AVitude telling you????

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 3:30pm
It was good to see Darren and his kids this morning for breakfast.  Since nobody else joined us Nicole and I decided to head back home and get some stuff done around the house.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums version 8.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2006 Web Wiz Guide - http://www.webwizguide.info